Wednesday, March 07, 2007

String Bag


Don't faint, it's me, posting for the third time in four days! Must be spring fever.(Or should that be string fever?) As strings are all the rage these days I got out my strings that I've been sewing on and off for about a year. I first wrote about them here and here My original intention was to make a throw for the sofa in my kitchen (and one of these days I'll post a picture of it without a throw on it because it may well qualify for the title of most ugly sofa in Britain). In its defence, though, I must add that it is very comfortable. Because I knew that the throw would have a lot of wear I used what we in the UK would call calico (for the foundation - the strings are cotton shirts or quilting fabric), which is a very thick utilitarian furnishing type fabric, not like the printed calicoes in the U.S. I am now thinking that maybe this wasn't such a good idea because of course it is also turning out to be very heavy. And ... having made a 10 1/2 in string block for Nancy's birthday, I also think I've made my blocks too small, they finish at 6 inches square. So, I made a great big shopping bag. I'm trying to think of what else I could use the blocks for because I do think they are too heavy for what was intended (actually, even the bag is quite heavy, but I think it will be okay). Then, I'm going to start again with a lighter foundation because my string bin is overflowing.

On another note I feel I must apologise that I haven't been commenting on blogs much the past few days. No excuse really except I'm just so tired, after travelling to Chesterfield yesterday I've been to Stoke on Trent today and I just find driving so tiring. I've promised myself a blog fest tomorrow night where I'm going to catch up on what's been going on out there and comment away merrily.

20 comments:

Joyce said...

The string bag is great. I think I am gonig to have to make myself one.

Saska said...

CUTE!

McIrish Annie said...

Love, love, love the string bag!! What a great idea to use up that stash. I am definitely stealing your idea to make a bag of my own, soooo springy and fun..

Great job!

Unknown said...

That brings a whole new definition to the description 'string bag' - love it! and yes you're right on British motorways with the volume of traffic and congestion we get driving is most definitely a chore not a pleasure as it once was

Melanie said...

That bag justs makes a person smile. No one can be unhappy carrying it. Don't worrying about not commenting-- sometimes it's goos just to sit back an look at the pictures..you know? Take care...

meggie said...

I love that string bag! How nice & cheery it looks.
I also loved your crooked spire post, & tried to comment, but blogger got shirty!

Patti said...

Oh I love the bag! What a perfect way to use string blocks!

Tazzie said...

Wow! Your bag is so cute, I just love it. The fabrics you've chosen are just darling. I have to say I love the book you got recently too (I'm way behind with my blog reading), it was a great buy!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Teodo said...

wow! your bag is wonderful! exactly what we (women) need to hide all our stuff! ciao, ciao

Libby said...

The perfect solution - you'll be the envy of all the other shoppers *s*

Bea said...

It´s perfect, must look in my scraps to sew one for me. Thank you for sharing.

Danijela said...

The bag is phantastic! It's a happy-string-spring-bag, really an eye-catcher!

mereth said...

That bag will be perfect for shopping and the heavy foundation will make it hard wearing too.You're cutting down on plastic bags AND recycling fabric scraps, how very Green of you!

Finn said...

Hi Fiona, I also love your idea of making the bag. Seems like a perfect use for it. Great for groceries or library books, even a great beach bag!!
I too, have not been around as often as I would like, and not commented on very many lately. But in my defense, I have been sewing...LOL I think that "time" is a factor we all are having to face.
And about your additional string blocks...how about placemats? I think they could be very snazzy, but I suspect you'd have to make a wider seam and press it open. Or even a chair pad cushion would be a nice use...*VBS* Hugs, Finn
Have a great weekend!!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh, you are so excused just for saying the words, "Stoke-on-Trent"!!
I just love that string bag, they really are all the fashion on the net, Paris Hilton will have one next! Cheers, Tracey

MARCIE said...

Darling bag, Fiona, and great colors!

Linda C said...

cool bag and a great use of the string blocks--not all quilted objects have to go on walls and beds, right?

I'm trying to get caught up again myself--easy to get to lagging behind when life gets busy.

Clare said...

Always behind here. Can never catch up so I have decided to read my favourite blogs first and then work down the list from there. After taking your advice re papers for foundation piecing, I've been churning out string blocks but have now come to a grinding halt. The Heartstring blocks that went wrong I made into a pot holder for Mum. I love that bag.

Tanya said...

Thanks for visiting Fiona! I visit you everyday and have big plans for doing some of the things you've been doing! My blogger friends are so inspiring and you are all really getting my fingers moving!

Shelina said...

That's a great idea for using your string blocks to make a bag. It is really pretty, and I'm sure it will be useful. You can make another, different throw for your sofa.