Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bargain!



DH has bought me the loveliest book - we were shopping in WH Smith when I saw it. It didn't have a price on it so I took it to the cash desk, fully expecting it to be in the £20 - £25 range as it is a big thick book cram bang full of beautiful colour photographs of fabric. She scanned it and it came up as £9.99, we did not have to think twice, but it did seem ridiculously cheap. When we got home I looked it up on Amazon, here, and their discounted price was £21.45. I think there must have been an error when they stored the price on the computer system because it wasn't on sale or anything and WH Smith don't seem to discount much these days.


It is such a fabulous book, I would gladly have paid that much anyway. It has photographs of textiles from the last 200 years, categorised by motif, colour, period and design, mostly from the collection of the author. Amazon describes it as 'the biggest and most lavish survey of printed textiles ever published'. There are many American cotton fabrics from the last (20th) century included. I like the way the descriptions are written too, because although it looks like quite an academic book, they are written in a chatty, conversational style. Certainly well worth borrowing from the library if you get the chance, I would highly recommend it.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a treasure and what a bargain!

meggie said...

Bargains somehow make the treasure seem more so!

Elaine Adair said...

The cover alone is gorgeous enough! Wonderful bargain also.

Ms. Jan said...

Mmmmm. Eye candy for quilters is always a good thing! What a find!

Unknown said...

you were lucky to find such a great book at such a bargain price. Keep it well. I love looking at textile books and I keep telling myself that it improves my quilting style as well in some ways. Well one has to have an excuse to buy all these books! Your Road to Kansas or whatever it is called looks great, can´t wait to see it finished.

Clare said...

A bargain indeed - worth every penny. Have you heard of a 6 year old girl in Leicester called Rachel who has Leukaemia? She is getting the next quilt so will include one of your blocks.

Libby said...

What a wonderful book for your collection and a bargin, too.

Teodo said...

Your is a very bargain, only few£ for a book that you love. ciao ciao

Faith said...

hey what a bargain I know WHSMITH can be a bit tight you do did well there. I also love your quilt further down the page which reminds me of a lovely jar of smarties... yum yum

Jenni said...

That looks like a very nice book.