Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Blog Banner

I know zilch about html so my blog has always been very plain. I do quite like it that way but I've always wanted a more decorative banner at the top. I thought new (beta) blogger would make it easy, but not so, I tried and tried but couldn't insert a picture in the header. Then I found Peter Chen's blog with simple instructions for how to do it. I followed them and yay, it worked!

The picture you see up there at the moment is some of the shirts I have bought in charity shops and cut up for patchwork, I am going to make a Yellow Brick Road out of them for my next project. I like the idea of changing the banner each month to show a different picture.


Aside from that I have nothing even vaguely quilty or crafty to report so how about a picture of an enamel mug I bought in Prague? It seems like a bit of a bizarre thing to post but perhaps it will make sense when I say that the reason I bought it was because it reminded me of Tonya's wonky houses.


Thanks for all the encouraging comments on the String Bag - it was so simple to make but I feel very virtuous using a reusable bag made from reclaimed fabric instead of a plastic one, though my daughter did say that people would think I was a hippy. Nothing wrong with hippies is there?

19 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm always afraid to mess with my blog in case it stops working. Therefor, it is bland and always the same. Maybe one day when I'm bored I'll get brave.

Joyce said...

I forgot to add that there is definiely nothnig wrong with hippies. The world needs more of them.

Bea said...

Thnak you for your tipp with the picture in the blogheader, will do it next time with my blog. Yours look so cute!

CONNIE W said...

I noticed your new banner first thing and I was looking at it with envy, knowing I would not be able to figure out how to do that. It's so colorful and oh so quilty!

meggie said...

The world was made the way it is today by Hippies- wasnt it! Each era has it's own radicals....look the 'flappers'. An era dear to my heart.
Kids can be funny, when they discover 'respectable'!!
Love your new banner, very creative. envy!! envy!!

Unknown said...

Love your new banner Fiona - boy do I envy those fabrics - I love shirtings. I really like that mug you brought back from Prague, far mor interesting than the pair of amber earrings DH brought back for me (although I am do treasure them). The design on it would make an awesome stained glass wallhanging - short and wide (a bit like me really) :o)

Clare said...

I think it looks great, especially with the white background. Must get round to cutting up shirts. BTW there is an excellent and easy to understand blog banner tutorial at

http://serendipitypatchwork.blogspot.com
/2006/08/how-to-create-personal-blog-banner.html

You will have to copy and paste the URL as I have wrapped it on purpose.

And no there is nothing wrong with Hippies. I thought the 70's was back in?

The Calico Cat said...

WOW - now that is an assortment of shirts - I never would have guessed their origin!

Libby said...

Your banner looks great. How to make one has been a mystery for quite some time. Thanks so much for sharing the link - I'm off to play with my banner *s*

Serena said...

Great blog banner!! I am always looking for ways to make my blog appear a little more than just plain! :)

Leslie said...

Let's hear it for homespun shirt collectors, Yay! May I use your banner as a .gif in my guild newsletter? I'm always looking for fun, colorful images. Lemme know!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for showing us the way to improve our headers! I immediately started playing with mine and love the new look. Your shirt fabrics are great!

Nina In Norway said...

I love your banner! I have started to collect nice shits as well. They are so fammilar, and nicer the way you arranged them.
I also loved your "brights" quilt.

His Office, My Studio said...

Love the new banner, you did a great job!

Jeanne said...

Your new banner looks terrific, bright and cheery. Thanks for sharing the info on html. One of these days I'm going to learn some of that stuff.

Lois R. said...

Your banner is gorgeous!!! I can't believe those fabrics are from thrift store shirts! I never saw shirts like that in any thrift stores I was in!

By the way, nothing wrong with hippies in my book.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

This techno-challenged chick wants good stuff on her banner as well so I'll have to examine the link tomorrow. Did you see my shirt quilt stash I posted before my computer went AWOL? Love yours, they're cut up!Tracey
ps I have The time traveller's wife on order, will I love it?

Simonetta said...

Very beautiful the new image of your blog, Fiona!

Judy said...

Love the banner header!! Looks so fresh and springy!