Friday, June 23, 2006

Books


When the organisation I work for announced they were restructuring and that there was the possibility that people might be made redundant, they introduced an allowance of £250 per person for any training activity that might help people gain employment or self employment in the future. They gave various examples of what the money could be used for - driving lessons, training courses, life coaching, books etc. I had been thinking that if I was made redundant I might try to develop my leisure interests to have some sort of craft business - and that to do so I would need more books with ideas on what I could make. My application was successful and this is what arrived from Amazon today...aren't they fantastic? I have used up all of the allowance now, because I claimed for a number of books already in March. This has been a real bonus, because I would never have been able to afford to buy all of these books at once in the normal run of things - more like one a month. So although I won't be leaving the organisation, I still get to benefit from the training allowance! How brilliant is that? I can't wait to sit down and have a really good look at them.

Meanwhile on the home front...my DAD made the rabbit hutch...I got fed up of waiting for DH to do it so hopefully will be getting a rabbit in the next week.

6 comments:

Lois R. said...

What a DEAL (the training allowance)!!! I have to figure out how to get my company to allow me to buy quilting or gardening books on their dime!

Unknown said...

Well Fiona - good for you - I think it's the least they could do for people to compensate you for the grief, aggravation and job uncertainty - enjoy your new books all the more on the groungs that they were a present :o) Thanks for the info on Timtex - I've bought other things from them so will look it up :o)

Unknown said...

Just spotted you bought 'Quilting makes the quilt' - it's a terrific book and gives you loads of inspiration for different styles of machine quilting not necessarily along the lines of your piecing pattern - excellent out of the box guidance for would-be FMQers

Melanie said...

You must be living right!!!What a treat.. let us know your favorite...
Melanie

Finn said...

Fantastic Fiona!! What good thinking on your part to get those books! And then the Universe delivers you a job, so you can affort to buy stuff to make them...perfect!! I have the Successful Scrap Quilts one, am not familiar with the others, but bet there is alot of good stuff in them!!! Have fun!

Judy said...

What a good thing for you!!! Lots of books and a new job too! I've heard of a few of those, but I don't own any of them, I'm sure they will be wonderful to use!

Congrats on getting a promotion!