Saturday, February 28, 2009

London Calling

Bit of a blog break there - we had a few days in London over half-term - didn't take any pictures myself but here's a couple that DH took - the London Eye at night and a row of London buses with The Gherkin in the background. I know feelings are mixed about The Gherkin, but I think it's a great building.

When I was a kid, if we ever went to London we always had to 'look out for someone famous' - the premise being that London is full of famous people and you've only got to keep your eyes open to spot one. Needless to say, we never say anyone remotely famous, until now that is, when we saw David Blunkett catching a train to Sheffield while we were waiting for our train home.

Part of the reason for the break was that my daughter had a briefing session for the course she is starting at University in the autumn, so we thought we might as well all go too (to London, not to the briefing session, that would have been well embarrassing).

I also found time to find my way to Fabrics Galore in Lavender Hill. I did succumb to temptation, but really, I think I need to call a halt to fabric buying and start using it - otherwise I'm in serious danger of running out of anywhere to put it.

7 comments:

Clare said...

Great photos. How odd to see so many buses at once LOL!

DD is going to the UK by herself at the beginning of July for 2 weeks and being taken round London by my sister. She can't wait.

Clare said...

Meant to say - I love The Long Firm. Have you read the others?

Libby said...

Hubby and I were very amused by the Gherkin controversies . . . but for folks like us with little London experience, it's a good landmark. Easy to spot *s* I just love those red busses.

Leslie said...

Isn't it great to get away once in awhile? Thx for the delightful charm squares and the gift you sent; the prints are fabulous! I'm looking forward to having a cup of your tea. :0)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

We did the same thing when we went to London...looking for famous people...but didn't see any. I thought everyone could be famous as everyone we saw was so well dressed and were wearing sunglasses! :o)

Thanks for the fabric link...I've never gone looking for fabric in London...might need another field trip :o)

The Calico Cat said...

I need to call a halt to fabric buying and start using it - otherwise I'm in serious danger of running out of anywhere to put it.

That sounds far to familiar...

Love the photo of the buses!

Ali Honey said...

Please tell Hubby great photos!( I'm the mum of a Kiwi who has lived there 9 years - but I have never been - yet )

Couldn't help noticing how cramped the fabric store looked - compared with ours - space is valuable in London I guess.