Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ta Da!

Good grief! It's a finished quilt, and not just a cot quilt, or a single bed quilt, but a humungous double bed sized quilt.

Now, I would have tried to get a better picture, but you just can't get quality quilt hangers these days. They mumble from behind the quilt and say things like "My arms are going to fall off if you make me do this much longer" or "This is so unfair, I've just started a game on Runescape - if I don't get back I'll be locked out". No stamina, that's their trouble.

Quilting this was a bit of a marathon, though I say so myself. My machine has a tiny space under the arm and always stops with the needle up so it wasn't the easiest of things to do. Which could be why I am craving this machine - it's not available in the UK yet, and will probably be out of my price range when it is, but it is very tempting.


I finished the top for this quilt quite a while ago, you can read about it here. I loved putting it together, and followed Patti's crumb chaos instructions.

The border fabric is navy blue, not black, and I free-motion quilted it with a pattern of leaves. I quilted the centre of the quilt in wavy lines - I thought it was in keeping with the wonkiness of the quilt, but I'm still not sure that it doesn't look like I can't quilt straight. Still, as my kids would say 'Whatever', at least it's finished.





17 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my goodness - I am just plain jealous I've never made one! Yours is so clever, comfy, friendly, and DONE! Congrats, and pat yourself on the back, especially with no 'needle-down' position. My, I am spoiled. Good luck on the hoped-for machine. 8-)

Chookyblue...... said...

I really like this quilt.......shame the quilt holders are so dificult to work with...........lol.........

Melanie said...

Great job!!! I love it! And so will those kids when it's keeping then warm on a cold day....

Andrea said...

Wow - its great. I am hoping for a new quilting sewing machine this year - I've started saving my pennies - lol !

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow - Well Done (inserts lots of clapping) That is quite the achievement especially on a domestic machine...my machine stops needle up too...sooo frustrating!

BTW a tip for hanging your quilts to take pictures..get yourself some trouser hangers...you know the ones with the pincers and the swivel hook. Clamp across the top of the quilt and then hand up over a curtain rod or door frame(s). It works if you've got somewhere to hand it from...I'm lucky enough to have a thick wooden curtain rod across our patio doors and it's great.

Barbara C said...

Beautiful! Scrappies are my favorite quilts, and yours is lovely.

Wendy said...

What a beautiful way to use up all your scraps! I have a pile of crumb blocks, this makes me want to keep on making more. You did a lovely job!

Libby said...

What a great quilt . . . . wonky is my best look *s*

Tracey in CT said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Good job! I seem to have the same poor quality quilt hangers in my house! LOL.

sewkalico said...

Well done! It looks fantastic!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Congratulations!!! That is quite an accomplishment. I have only made up to a twin size quilt so far and lots of baby quilts and lap quilts and snuggle quilts. Love you blog, too.
Linda

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That's an AWESOME quilt -- I'd love to make one like it. Most Excellent!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Love your blog, quilts, pictures ,everything. Hope to visit again soon.

Clare said...

Bravo - superb!

That's a good idea of Jane's. Never thought of that before.

meggie said...

I would never get tired of that wonderful pretty quilt!!

julieQ said...

I love your scrappy wondrous quilt! Congratulations on a great finish.

Tonya Ricucci said...

it's fabulous, Fiona - you did a GREAT job. woohoo!